On behalf of Twisted Matrix Laboratories, I am honoured to announce the release of Twisted 17.1!
The highlights of this release are:
- twisted.web.client.Agent now supports IPv6! It’s also now the primary web client in Twisted, with twisted.web.client.getPage being deprecated in favour of it and Treq.
- twisted.web.server has had many cleanups revolving around timing out inactive clients.
- twisted.internet.ssl.CertificateOptions has had its method argument deprecated, in favour of the new raiseMinimumTo, lowerMaximumSecurityTo, and insecurelyLowerMinimumTo arguments, which take TLSVersion arguments. This allows you to better give a range of versions of TLS you wish to negotiate, rather than forcing yourself to any one version.
- twisted.internet.ssl.CertificateOptions will use OpenSSL’s MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS, which will let it free unused memory that was held by idle TLS connections.
- You can now call the new twist runner with python -m twisted.
- twisted.conch.ssh now has some ECDH key exchange support and supports hmac-sha2-384.
- Better Unicode support in twisted.internet.reactor.spawnProcess, especially on Windows on Python 3.6.
- More Python 3 porting in Conch, and more under-the-hood changes to facilitate a Twisted-wide jump to new-style classes only on Python 2 in 2018/2019. This release has also been tested on Python 3.6 on Linux.
- Lots of deprecated code removals, to make a sleeker, less confusing Twisted.
- 60+ closed tickets.
For more information, check the NEWS file (link provided below).
Many thanks to everyone who had a part in this release – the supporters of the Twisted Software Foundation, the developers who contributed code as well as documentation, and all the people building great things with Twisted!
Amber Brown (HawkOwl)